As a key event in the celebration of the 25th Anniversary of our church building, Joseph W. Hammond presented a comprehensive lecture on the architectural history of this iconic building. Mr. Hammond was instrumental in the 1995 listing of the church on the National Register of Historic Places. He was also the Clerk of the Works for the 1996-97 re-stabilization of the building due to the failure of multiple truss beams. The presentation was attended by about 40 history buff who also came to a reception afterwards where there was a display of images of the church throughout its history. The lecture was also attended by Diana Stevenson who is the 4th great-granddaughter of the Reverend Samuel Cooke who was the priest who was the driving force in the erection of this church building.
On August 30th the painters working on the church ceiling completed their work. They had been working since July 8th and we have held services in the parish house during that time. Our first service in the church with the restored ceiling will be September 8th. The workmanship was superb. Luis, the foreman, had a strong commitment to quality and thoroughness. This huge undertaking included removing many layers of lead infused paint, correcting damage and rust to the metal ceiling, and repainting with three coats of new paint. During the painting every inch of the nave was protected by plastic covering. This paint job should last for many decades since we treated the underlying paint peeling condition. Further the new paint reveals the details of the decorations on the metal ceiling as can be seen in these accompanying pictures.
Thanks to Guy Hembling, Luis and his son Kevin, Alan Binger for protection of the organ during the ceiling work, and Stephanie Hoagland for her invaluable consultation.
On Sunday November 19th the new brick walkway named for our beloved parishioner and treasurer was dedicated. The funding for this came from donations to the memorial fund in Gerry’s name. The parishioners and visitors gathered at each side of the walkway starting at the arbor entrance.
The walkway was created by Ryser’s Landscape Supply firm.
The Christ Church community celebrated Mother Lisa’s 20 years of dedicated service as record at the parish. The Rector was surprised during the August 20, 2017 service with presents and recollections. Mother Lisa, the first female rector at Christ Church, arrived as the church building was undergoing a major reconstruction due to failures in the infrastructure of the 1769 edifice. As a result, her first service was held at the parish house.
Mother Lisa is now the fourth longest serving cleric at Christ Church since 1702. Only the iconic clerics Samuel Cooke, Harry Finch, and Benjamin Franklin have longer service.
Congratulations to Reverend Lisa Sauber Mitchell!!
The sign along Broad Street that marks the History of Christ Church and the role of George Keith has been replaced through the efforts of the parish. The original sign was badly worn and only partially legible. This bright new sign now makes the history more clearly known to the many motorists passing by each day.
Due to some failed components of the 1874 E Howard #2 clock and bell drive mechanism, the clock and bell have been out of commission for about 3 months. This situation has been remedied with the damaged parts machined and reinstalled. The clock faces have been synchronized and the clock timing adjusted for accuracy.
Monmouth County Library
Month of May 2014
The exhibit features segments including, old photos – with the oldest from 1869, new photos, and the church in art. There is also a special section called Then and Now, that pairs old photos of the church with matching contemporary ones. There are three special features: the original 1769 builder’s agreement, salve a pair of tickets for a lottery used to raise funds for the church’s erection, and a large scale model of the church on loan from the Shrewsbury Historical Society.
This exhibit was created in partnership with Dorn’s Classic Images.